ACA: Quickstart Your Kayak
This is a beginner-friendly session where one of our staff will take you to Warner Lake for a full 3 hour session, offering instruction to those who are new to the sport or want to improve their kayaking skills. Warner Lake is a small, non-motorized lake surrounded by park and is scenic, calm, and full of wildlife. The park's thick, surrounding woods and foliage keep the clean, clear water smooth throughout the year, providing a perfect location for this class. Price includes two way shuttle, kayak, paddle, life jacket, certified instructor, and paperwork needed for ACA certification.
This class runs by reservation. Call to make a reservation or to see if there is room in an already reserved class. If you get in with an already reserved class the pricing is based on class size.
After arriving to CW Outfitting, we will outfit the group with equipment, go over some paper work, and shuttle you 2 miles down the road to Warner Lake to get you on the water in time for the class.
Course Overview: The ACA Quickstart Your Kayak workshop is a brief introduction to paddling a solo kayak. Students are presented with basic information on dressing to paddle safely, potential hazards and simple rescues. A minimal paddle skill set is presented and practiced, allowing students to safely and comfortably maneuver on still water. This course is appropriate for all kayak craft, including traditional decked kayaks, inflatables and sit on tops.
Course Prerequisites: None
Other Kayak Courses we offer:
Essential Eligibility Criteria: In order to participate in an ACA Skills Course, each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
- Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities listed in the course outline while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position
- Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water
- Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other course participants
- Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion
- Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion
Note: Use of spray skirts is not part of the QuickStart or Introduction to Kayak Curriculum.
All course participants must be able to independently perform all skills/rescues in the course outline to get your certification.