BRONZEBACK CLASSIC-Fishing Tournament Rules – Fall 2023
1. THE COMMON SENSE RULE: The BronzeBack Classic is about getting people-powered water crafts out in the name of fun and competition! Our goal as host is to work hard to ensure a fair and balanced playing field. With that being said, if any of the rules need altering to ensure the safety of all participates we reserve the right to alter them at any time, without formal notice. To stay up to date with rules, prizes and general information please reference CWOutfitting.com and our Facebook page.
2. WHO CAN ENTER: Anyone with or without (we rent them) a canoe, kayak or SUP board and wants to experience some awesome fishing, scenery, and camaraderie. This excludes any use of a trolling motor and any other gas, electric or non-human powered motor.
3. REGISTRATION AND FEES: We wanted to provide a low cost tournament with extra special service, food, prizes, and fishing action. Price includes entry fee, shuttling of people and equipment, staff to assist with getting on and off the river, participation gift, cash prizes and merchandise prizes for at least 4-6 places, door prizes, awards ceremony with a great meal, and equipment rentals available if you pay the extra amount. Our goal is for all participants to take home prizes.
See tournament web page for costs and deadlines.
For anglers without canoe/kayak we have discounted tournament rentals available. See tournament web page.
Payment can be made on the CWOutfitting.com web site by credit card or in person at our shop with credit card, check or cash at any time before the Friday night deadline.
4. SCHEDULE: Please visit the tournament web page at cwoutfitting.com for full details.
5. ELIGIBLE WATERCRAFT: These are predominately propelled by man power and the use of the river’s natural propulsion, the current, to get the job done (no electric, battery or gas powered motors). At this time we are only allowing kayaks, canoes, and Stand Up Paddle boards. If you feel your watercraft is not listed but should be eligible then you will need to clear it with the tournament director at CW Outfitting before you enter. Anglers can share a two person watercraft so long as both are entered into the tournament and equally share in the propelling of the watercraft.
6. ELIGIBLE WATER: This is a MISSISSIPPI River Smallmouth Bass tournament. No lake fishing and no other rivers. Participants choosing to use the CW Outfitting Shuttle will arrive at CW Outfitting before their scheduled wave time. Then they will either launch at CW Outfitting at river mile marker 913.25 and fish to Snuffies Landing at river mile marker 905.25 (approximately 8 river miles - see map) or be shuttled up river to the River Bluffs landing at river mile marker 922.5 and fish back down to CW Outfitting (approximately 9.5 river miles see map).
Participants choosing their own shuttle can fish any Mississippi River stretch between St Cloud and Elk River provided they follow all other rules. You will need to declare what stretch of river you are fishing at the pre-tournament check in.
Wade fishing is permitted provided the competitor uses his kayak to access the fishing location. Bass caught while wading or walking the shoreline ARE eligible for submission; however, each competitor must be within sight of his kayak while fishing, and the kayak must appear in every bass photo submitted. Competitors may depart the boat to catch and land fish or to make the boat more accessible to fishing waters. If a competitor must go out of sight of his kayak for any reason (e.g., for a restroom break or to contact a tournament official by phone or other means, or to report an emergency), he must cease fishing until he returns to his kayak, at which time he may resume fishing.
7. PRE-TOURNAMENT MEETING: Will be held at Clear Waters Outfitting, 100 Pine St, Clearwater MN, 55320 on the Friday night before the tournament, time will be posted on CWoutfitting.com web site. It is highly recommended that all participants attend this meeting to check in and obtain important information. If you cannot make this meeting YOU MUST contact the tournament director at CW Outfitting ahead of time to coordinate getting your special icon and tournament packet prior to the first wave start time. Due to sensitivity, liability and to maintain a level playing ground, photo icons will not be released before the meeting.
What is covered at the pre-tournament meeting?
8. SCORING: We are using the “Catch-Measure-Photo-Release” method. That is once you catch the fish, use a digital camera or smart phone to take a photo of the fish on the standard measuring device with special icon, then release the fish back to the water.
Standards of Measuring:
General Scoring Rules
9. ELIGIBLE FISH: This is the BronzeBack Classic so naturally anglers can only score Smallmouth Bass.
10. ELIGIBLE FISHING METHODS: All fish must be caught:
11. ACCESSING THE RIVER: For ease of facilitation for all participants and staff, a shuttle up river is recommended and included in your entry fee. There is a reduced rate if you choose to do your own shuttling but do not plan on launching from our landing if you do not use our shuttle. All anglers using the CW Outfitting Shuttle must park at CW Outfitting and catch their time slot shuttle up river or launch from our landing at your time slot. A staff member will help the wave get ready at the river side and once the complete wave is ready to fish, you will be given the go ahead for the wave to start fishing. Waves will be staggered and each wave will have approximately the same amount of time to fish.
12. SAFETY: Safe boating will be observed at all times. During competition each contestant is required to comply with all state boating and fishing laws (files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2014.pdf). The tournament may be canceled due to unsafe weather or water conditions. The decision to cancel will be made by mid-day Friday the day before the tournament. All participants will be notified immediately via the tournament page and Facebook page. If you have any concerns about weather call CW Outfitting.
13. COMMUNICATIONS: We encourage you to unplug and really enjoy the Wild and scenic stretch of The Mississippi River you will be fishing. The use of mobile communication devices such as cellular telephones, marine radios, walkie-talkies, CBs, pagers or any electronic device to communicate fishing information during tournament hours is strictly prohibited. Communication among anglers is allowed on the water only by non-electronic methods. Emergency calls may be made. Using social media to post your highlights, or lowlights, during the event is allowed but please use the hashtag #CWOMN.
14. AFTER TOURNAMENT AWARDS CEREMONY & PARTY: Starting approximately ½ hr after the last wave is in, we will have the awards ceremony followed by festivities. Food, drink and fun will be available after each wave gets off the water.
Awards for the following finishes;
*Prizes are subject to change up to tournament start. See tournament web page for prize updates.
**By accepting a prize, we expect you to pose for pictures to be sent to our generous sponsors.
15. SPORTSMANSHIP: This is all about having a good time on the river so it is important that all anglers adhere to a high standard of sportsmanship that portrays our sport in a positive light.
16. PROTEST: All protests must be submitted in writing to tournament director or email@example.com along with a $100 deposit, within fifteen (30) minutes of the last angler check-in. The protester also agrees that if there is a question of verifying the charge of a protest that he or she also may be subject to take a polygraph and agree to testify in a court of law if necessary. If the tournament committee, or polygraph, upholds the protest, the cash deposit shall be returned to the contestant submitting the protest. If not the deposit is forfeited to CW Outfitting to pay for investigation costs. Even if there is not an official protest the rules committee will follow up on any accusations and there will be a serious price to pay if an angler has been found to purposely cheat. As mentioned above, fraud charges may be filed against the angler.
17. PHOTO/VIDEO RIGHTS: All photos, video, data, audio and angler profile information shall be used by CW Outfitting indefinitely and may be used by any of its tournament partners in future projects, promotions, articles or media releases. There will be no compensation for such use of these photos, video, voice or data. Anglers will be allowed to keep their photos/videos and use how they please as well.
18. FINAL DECISIONS: Any decisions that need to be made in relation to the event will be done so by the tournament committee and their decisions are final.
19. RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE: all participants must sign a waiver, release of liability, and covenant not to sue before competing in any tournament. It is required that all participants take responsibility for themselves while participating in event activities.
20. HAVE FUN: Remember, winning is not something you can completely control, because there is no way to play defense in this sport. All you can control is your fishing and your attitude….so relax, have fun, and enjoy your time on the water.
The keys to correct measurement of a bass is as follows:
Correct – Fish is facing to the left, nose touching the board, and the identifier is visible as well. Tail is in natural position and mouth is natural as well.
Correct – Everything done right and you are allowed to use hand to stabilize the fish if it does not block the nose or tail.
Incorrect – Fish’s nose/lip is not touching the end of the board and the angle is not directly over the fish.
Incorrect – Fish’s tail is flopping while photo is taken. It must stay flat on the board.
Incorrect – Need to see all of the board on the left side in the photo.
Incorrect – No tournament “identifier” in the photo and nose/lip is not touching the end of the board.
Incorrect – Fish is facing the wrong direction and upside down. They must face left and their bellies should be facing down (to the south, if you will).